Master in Healthcare Space Design
Master’s Degree in Healthcare Space Design, official Master's Degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF).
From September to July.
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
From 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Spanish. Some materials or lectures will be in English.
Year 2018-2019: (Spanish Edition): 9.400 € (plus 500 € registration fee)
You must meet at least one of these options:
• University degree or university graduate degree.
• Those without a university degree will have the right to apply, by virtue of their proven professional experience, for an accreditative Diploma.
• It is necessary to provide basic training to develop projects in 3D by computer, with any software suitable for interior design: ArchiCad, ActeCad, Allplan SketchUp, Rhino, Cinema4D, Intercad Lite, CadDecor
• High level of Spanish, both of understanding, speaking and writing for the Spanish course.
How to project or adapt healthcare spaces to be modern and healthy? What role play the functional and emotional values that a designer provides?
There is now a growing demand for the design of spaces dedicated to healthcare that goes far beyond traditional healthcare environments, the value chain of the sector is extended to new programs and business models that end up defining a wide variety of new typologies in the field of health.
For this reason, currently, a wide scope of action is opened in the professional practice of design and architecture, both in the adaptation and modernization of specialized health centres -medical centres, specialized clinics, surgeries, street pharmacies, nursing homes, etc.-, as well as the consideration of the healthy condition of inhabited spaces in general.
The role of the interior designer is today the capital. The traditional concept of reception, accommodation and assistance, that involve activities always based on proximity and customer service, today joins the need to provide new functional and emotional values to spaces, in response to the new behaviours and desires of a society in continuous transformation, and to which, without a doubt, the promoter seeks to respond.
This master’s degree delves into all these issues from an advanced and innovative perspective focused on the experience of its users and the customers’ needs. It qualifies professionally to approach and lead technically this topic, addressing issues such as functional complexity, flexibility to continuous change, the incorporation of new technologies, energy efficiency, the design-for-all and the use of healthy materials, among others.
But it also goes beyond and enables the future professional to address, in a sensitive and creative way, the resolution of these spaces taking care from the atmosphere to the communicative aspects with a global and multidisciplinary vision that will provide a solid project base to develop these concepts in different contexts according to the latest trends in the sector. It is a project approach always based on the field of interior design, industrial design of furniture and signage.
The objective is to prepare the student to face the creative process, not only solving the organization of the spaces and their setting, but also analysing the habits and modes of use and, consequently, practicing methodologies that encourage the innovation and the development of original concepts, not only of the spaces, but also of the materials, furniture and equipment that are present.
The master will work:
- Abilities to develop professionally and develop projects in response to corporate and client interests.
- Critical ability to interpret the business keys of the health sector.
- Detailed knowledge about the health sector and its value chain.
- Understanding of the business casuistry of the sector at the current time and future trends.
- Analytical ability of different practical examples and success cases.
- Understanding and command of the interior design project space of the sanitary environment.
- Ability to work as a team.
- Creative abilities.
- Ability to communicate projects and ideas.
- Knowledge of the phases of work and execution of a professional project in the field of interior design of healthcare spaces.
- Good aptitude for documentary research on the specific field of this study programme.
- Good resolution in the public expression of ideas and own projects.
- Assess a professional assignment of the sector in any of its typologies and recognize the real needs of the client.
- Generate innovative and creative proposals within the objective scope of the programme.
- Master the entire creative process from the conceptualization to the realization of the project and its perceptual maintenance.
- Resolve the integration of all the technical facilities that come together in the project.
- Control of the various disciplines involved, such as medical equipment, furniture, applied graphics, lighting, etc.
- Master the relationship with the agents involved in the project.
- Detailed knowledge of all the tools and strategies that configure and add value to a project in the health sector.
- Detailed knowledge of the spaces that make up the different models of health centres.
- Library of the most common materials and construction details.
- Detailed knowledge of the functional organization of the different types of health centres.
- Knowledge of the work tools that guarantee the achievement of the most appropriate atmospheres for each space and centre of the user's experiences.